Thursday 23 April 2009

Are we destined to re-live our childhood?

Hey!

I think about the people in my life and the more I know about their childhood, I can't stop myself from seeing the links between their experiences and the way they act now they are an adult. 

What they are scared of, who they fancy, the friends they make and the careers they live. 

They are still striving to over come and seek attention of emotionally or physically distant parents. They are looking to achieve their childhood dreams. Those with loving parents seem to quickly find thier 'one' and settle down. Where as the ones who have the hardest time growing up cling to their partners like their lives depend on them. 

Those who strive desperately for career sucess over everything else, are they doing it for the money, the love of the job, or are they trying to plug a whole in themselves. 

So, is this simple psychology? Is it destined? Fate? Or do those who don't learn their lessons are destined to repeat them? 

You have to wonder some times whether you can truely over come your past and choose your future. Truely move on, change and be someone differant. 

I was watching Grey's Anatomy recently and one of the characters said "the scars you pick up make you who you are, they make you extrodinary" (or something along those lines)

I have to agree, some challenges we face can make us stronger. They test us and we can come out of these situations with a validation of our own strength. 

But what if the challenges we face overwhelm us? the scars too deep that they will never heal? Can we adapt? Can we overcome? Can we be something more than what we were? 

I think we all hope so. I think it's the scariest thing in the world to think we might not, ever change. That we might never be whole, be better. But a life driven in fear that we might not change never seems to be a happy one. I can see that all around me. People making choices based on fear. 

I find it difficult to see anyone make a decision based on hope. Maybe I'm to cynical. Maybe I'm not seeing the big picture. Maybe we see people who live on this hope as the crazy ones, the ones that take what we think are irrational risks. 

So, are we destined to re-live our childhood? Our childhood provides us with our template, how to live, how to act, how to interact with people. Lessons once learnt are hard to break. On some level we all seek that memory of happiness from our past. 

I have to believe that we can change. I don't think that our childhood will ever stop influencing how we see the world. But we can choose how we act on that world view. There is always something more real than the past, there is always something greater than the present, the future. It's important to see it as a blank canvas. The paints may be prepicked, but we decide on the picture we paint. We own our minds and our bodies, we are in control, if we choose to be. 

What do you think??  

Ryan

No comments:

Post a Comment